Absurdity

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Attention citizens

To the patriots I saw on television tonight erecting a fence along the border,

(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

Nice American flag napkins. Why not go for broke and make American flag toilet paper?


**

I posted the above on another blog I use for general consumption. It's hosted by my employer, so I try to keep the controversy to a minimum. However, here I don't give a shit.

I have some questions. If all of these people are so incensed about these militant, disrespectful illegal immigrants, why aren't they out in the streets with counter protests? Is protesting something only liberals do? I mean, it's probably a good thing they aren't on the streets. I fear lynchings, I fear (more) hate speech.

These illegal immigrants are wrong; I'm not saying they should be allowed to cross freely into the country and remain. I'm saying that the process needs to change, not just for Latinos, but for everyone who wants to come to America. Take, for instance, Fauziya Kassindja. As you will see on the linked page, Fauziya escaped to the States after being forced into marriage and almost forced to endure female genital mutilation. She was held in a detention center where she, along with the other women, was mistreated and not allowed to seek treatment for various illnesses she contracted while in "prison." This woman was not a criminal. Many of the women she knew in the detention center were escaping abusive marriages and sex slavery. The hell Fauziya endured was unnecessary. The hell many people coming to this country out of desperation is unnecesary. The policy needs to change and the people working with these immigrants, most of whom are escaping poverty and abuse, need intense diversity and cultural sensitivity training.

Our country isn't that great right now. We're in a slump. We treat non-Americans with disdain and indifference. I take that back. We treat non-white people with disdain and indifference. If you look Anglo, you're in the club. If your skin is any other shade, you will be standing outside the fence, kthnxbye.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
counter statistics